Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Relationships

So, I have the best boyfriend ever. I love him to pieces. Just sayin'.
Such a loving relationship we have.
Looking back, I wonder what makes our relationship work so well. There's a quote by someone (not sure who) that says:
"We're all at least a little weird, and life is extremely weird... So when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with our own, we join up in a mutual weirdness and call it love"
Which I think generally sums up my relationship with Brennen. I cannot think of anyone else in the world who would think my farts are cute, or who will let me motorboat him, or who will laugh when I tell corny jokes (although, sometimes I think he's laughing at me). But there must be other components, right?
1) We are each other's best friends. True, we have other friends that we hang out with, but at the end of the day, we always come together to make fun of our friends (and I'm kidding, to any of my friends reading this). We tell each other our secretest secrets, and and most annoying complaints. We completely confide in each other, even if it means telling the other one that yes, that dress does make your butt look big (Sorry Brennen, you just can't pull off floral prints).
2) We fight. Maybe you're first thought might be that this is a bad thing. Sure, if couple fight several times a day, then yes, that is probably a negative sign. But fighting or arguing is actually a good sign, if done right. You have to stay calm, respect each other's opinions, and try not to throw any punches. And sometimes, when the other person is mad at you, even if you think you're absolutely right and have done nothing wrong, just apologize. You need to fess up to the fact that even though it's not a big deal to you, it is to them, and in doing or saying something wrong, you've inadvertently hurt their feelings. So swallow you're pride and just do what you can to make them feel better about it. They'll do the same for you if they ever make you mad.
3) We take an interest in each other. He's an introverted gamer. I'm an extroverted actress. When we first got together, I thought World of Warcraft was a spin-off of Dungeons and Dragons, and he thought... well, I don't even know if he knew plays still existed. But we evolved, and now we have an appreciation for each other's passions. This is very important, because not taking an interest in your bf/gf's passions is like saying they don't interest you.
4) We talk every day. This is probably more reserved for long-distance things, but talking every day is crucial because we only see each other every week or ever other week. Skype is especially helpful for this.
5) We are comfortable with each other. We fart and burp together. We make funny faces. We tickle each other. We wrestle. We say stupid things, knowing that this is the only person you can say stupid things to and it won't matter. For example, he was at PAX this last year in Washington and I said something like "I'm sure you'll have a great time. Unless aliens decide to blow up the building the convention is in. In which case I don't think anyone will have a good time." He just laughed and called me a dork and said he loved me, while my cousin who was walking with me gave me the weirdest look ever, like I had just painted my face blue and set my hair on fire while running through the mall naked singing "Home on the Range."

Anyways, the point is, I love my boyfriend, he is splendiferous in every way, and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

That's all for now, nicole.

No comments:

Post a Comment